Monday, October 30, 2006

 

An Inspiration to me - Sheldon Larson


Pictured here with Representative Mike Boland, is one of my favorite individuals from the 71st district, Lynn Township Supervisor Sheldon Larson.

Sheldon is a family friend, I've known him for a number of years. But, it was only when I became more involved in public service, that I really realized how special Sheldon is, and how lucky the people of Lynn Township are to have him serving them.

Recently, Sheldon was honored for his service driving Veterans to visit their Doctors in Iowa City, something he's been doing for many many years. I also know Sheldon does some very special things to assist the people of Lynn Township. For years, Sheldon has arranged to collect surplus goods from local grocery stores to take back to help assure no one in Lynn Township will go without food.

Sheldon is a Republican, and I'm a Democrat, so I can't say we always agree on everything. But we do agree that making government work for people right here in our communities is the real meaning of "public service." Later today Representative Boland will recognize Lynn Township's (and Sheldon Larson's) commitment to public service by awarding Lynn Township a $25,000 grant to help pay off debt incurred in the building of the recently completed Lynn Township Hall.

Lynn Township has "held the line" on taxes, building their township hall and providing excellent quality services to the people they represent, without asking for tax increases in return. Regardless of other stresses of my job, it's really gratifying to help true public servants of the 71st District regardless of party affiliation. Sheldon Larson, the trustees and staff of Lynn township are making government work for people, and that's what it's all about!

Comments:
Sheldon is a huge Chicago Cubs fan too, who can be found visiting spring training most every year. I'm a baseball fan myself (the origin of the word "fan" comes from "fanatic"), so when I see Sheldon, I'm more likely to talk baseball than politics.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?