Saturday, November 04, 2006

 

It's not like trying to remember who your waitress is . . .

In a paid newspaper ad run in several newspapers in the Carroll County portion of the 71st district, Steve Haring proudly touts his endorsement by Mayors of Milledgeville, Lanark, and Prophetstown.

What’s wrong with that you might ask?

Lanark is NOT contained inside the district boundaries of the 71st District.
Milledgeville is NOT contained inside the district boundaries of the 71st, not even close!
And likewise Prophetstown, NOT in the 71st district, not by a long stretch!

Don’t those mayors know or care who actually represents them?

I am 100% certain those towns don’t fall within the boundaries of the 71st District that Mike Boland currently represents. I don't have a district map in front of me, but, I’m pretty sure Prophetstown is in Jerry Mitchell’s district and that Lanark and Milledgeville are both contained in Jimmy Sacia’s district.

Could it be that Steve Haring really doesn’t know the district yet, despite the fact this is his second attempt at election here? Or perhaps, are Steve and the mayors of neighboring Republican districts trying to fool the good people of the 71st?

To add to the apparent egg on their face, Steve and friends also claim the endorsement of Moline’s Mayor, but they butcher the spelling of his last name. Ooops!

Comments:
I’m sure by now there are at least some individuals currently in the 71st that are familiar with my almost infamous rant about the necessity of learning district boundaries. I don’t care whether you are a candidate yourself, an intern, or a paid staffer, if you want get someone elected, knowing the boundaries of the district is absolutely fundamental, you’ve got to learn those lines like your career depends on it, because it does!

There have already been at least half a dozen incidents in Boland campaign for reelection where I’ve observed highly paid professional staff from both sides violating this fundamental. I understand that there’s a pile of pressures in a race like this, and that paid staff from both parties are thrown into the mix at the last minute with little time to orient themselves, but in my mind that’s no excuse for ignoring the fundamentals.
 
hey mike, just wanted to comment so that you don't have to be the only one that comments on your own blog!

Good luck finding a new job!
 
Me?

My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades . . .


Ok, all joking aside, I'm not real worried. I once told a friend of mine that careers are highly overrated, and he's since told me it's some of the best advice he ever received! ;)

I'm just a guy that enjoys helping people. I don't really care for elections and campaigning, my interest is making a difference in the lives of everyday folks. Win or lose today, that's not really going to change.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?